[About this program]
Years 1 & 2
Years 1 & 2
- 21 CHEM credits at the 3000 level
- For students enrolled before Fall 2012: Additional 1000-level SC credits for a minimum total of 24 1000-level SC credits
- Students enrolled in Fall 2009 and later will need 3 further credits of 1000-level SC courses.
- SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 (or the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00) is strongly recommended for students lacking OAC or 12U Biology (see Note).
- SC/CHEM 1500 4.0, SC/CHEM 1550 3.0, SC/MATH 1510 6.0, SC/MATH 1515 3.0 and all NATS courses are ineligible.
- For students joining in or after Fall 2012: At least 9 additional non-Chemistry science credits (see Note on eligibility, below) for a minimum total of 24, including at least 3 at the 2000 level or higher. SC/BIOL 1000 3.0 and SC/BIOL 1001 3.0 are strongly recommended for students lacking OAC or 12U biology (SC/BIOL 1500 3.00 is a prerequisite).
- SC/CHEM 2050 4.00 'Introductory Biochemistry' [W] or equivalent is strongly advised. This is especially recommended if contemplating a transfer to a Specialized Honours degree.
- For students enrolled before Fall 2012, additional SC courses as needed for a minimum total of 66 SC credits
- SC/CHEM 3080 4.00 'Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis' [W] is strongly recommended as preparation for many careers in Industry
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 90 credits
- Eligible non-Chemistry science courses are BIOL (except SC/BIOL 1500 3.0), BCHM, BPHS, CSE, EATS, GEOG, MATH, PHYS (except SC/PHYS 1510 4.0), PSYC, KINE and STS courses that are not cross-listed as CHEM and not a course credit exclusion with a CHEM course.
- Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or for students to transfer into the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.