There are nine possible combinations of the following Chemistry requirements with those of another Science Major. [Details on Double Major combinations].
Effective Fall 2009, the requirements for this program will have undergone minor changes. [Summary of Recent Changes] The following are the requirements in place before Fall 2009. Students enrolled in Fall 2009 and thereafter must follow the new requirements effective Fall 2009.
- SC/CHEM 1000 3.00 'Chemical Structure' [F, W, S]
- SC/CHEM 1001 3.00 'Chemical Dynamics' [W, S]
- SC/PHYS 1010 6.00 'Physics' [Y] or SC/PHYS 1410 6.00 'Physical Science' [Y] or SC/PHYS 1420 6.00 'Physics with Applications to Life Sciences' [Y]
- SC/CSE 1540 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1540 3.00) 'Computer Use for the Natural Sciences' [F,W] or SC/CSE 1020 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1020 3.00) 'Introduction to Computer Science' [F,W] or SC/CSE 1520 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1520 3.00) 'Computer Use: Fundamentals' [F,W] or SC/CSE 1530 3.00 (formerly SC/COSC 1530 3.00) 'Computer Use: Programming' [F,W]
- SC/MATH 1013 3.00 'Applied Calculus I' [F,W]
- SC/MATH 1014 3.00 'Applied Calculus II' [W]
- at least three credits from:
- SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 'Biological Science' [Y] (or SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 'Biology I - Cells, Molecular Biology and Genetics' [F,S])
- SC/EATS 1010 3.00 'The Dynamic Earth and Space Geodesy' [F]
- SC/EATS 1011 3.00 'Introduction to Atmospheric Science' [W]
- SC/MATH 1025 3.00 'Applied Linear Algebra' [F,W]
- or from other 1000-level science courses required for the second major
- any four of the following:
Years 3 & 4
- 18 additional CHEM credits at the 3000 or 4000 levels, including at least two 4-credit 3000-level courses and including at least 6 credits at the 4000 level
- SC/CHEM 4000 8.00 'Research Project' [Y,S] or SC/CHEM 4000 4.00 'Research Project' [F,W,S] or equivalent Research Project course in the second major
- General Education - 12 credits Normally taken during the first two years of study but may be delayed to subsequent years or taken during Summer terms [F,W,S]
- The course requirements for the second major [Where to find these]
- Additional 1000-level SC credits as needed for a minimum total of 24 1000-level SC credits (see Note). SC/CHEM 1500 4.0, SC/CHEM 1550 3.0, SC/MATH 1510 6.0, SC/MATH 1515 3.0 and all NATS courses are ineligible.
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum total of 42 credits at the 3000 and 4000 levels.
- Additional SC courses as needed for a minimum total of 90 SC credits.
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 120 credits.
- Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or to transfer into the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.
- Pending Senate approval, SC/PHYS 1420 6.00 'Physics with Applications to Life Sciences' [Y] can substitute for SC/PHYS 1010 6.00 or SC/PHYS 1410 6.00.