Effective Fall 2009, the requirements for this program will have changed. [Summary of Recent Changes] The following are the requirements effective Fall 2009. Students enrolled in this program prior to Fall 2009 must continue following the old requirements in place before Fall 2009.
Years 1 & 2
Years 3 & 4
- SC/CHEM 3000 3.00 'Experimental Chemistry I' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3001 3.00 'Experimental Chemistry II' [W]
- 15 additional CHEM credits at the 3000 or 4000 levels, to include:
- SC/CHEM 3030 3.00 'Transition Metal Chemistry' [F] or SC/CHEM 3050 3.00 = SC/BIOL 3010 3.00 = SC/BCHM 3010 3.00 'Advanced Biochemistry' [W] or SC/CHEM 3080 4.00 'Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis' [W] (see Note 1)
- for students enrolled before Fall 2012: at least 6 credits at the 4000-level exclusive of SC/CHEM 4000 8.00 'Research Project' [Y,S] or SC/CHEM 4000 4.00 'Research Project' [F,W,S] (see Note 2)
- for students enrolled in or after Fall 2012: at least 12 credits at the 4000-level, including at least 6 in three-credit courses (see Note 2)
- For students enrolled before Fall 2012: Additional 1000-level SC credits as needed for a minimum total of 24 1000-level SC credits (see Notes 3 and 4).
- For students joining in or after Fall 2012: At least 9 additional non-Chemistry science credits (see Note 5 on eligibility, below) for a minimum total of 24, including at least 3 at the 2000 level or higher. SC/BIOL 1000 3.0 and SC/BIOL 1001 3.0 are strongly recommended for students lacking OAC or 12U biology (SC/BIOL 1500 3.00 is a prerequisite).
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum total of 42 credits at the 3000 and 4000 levels.
- For students enrolled before Fall 2012 only, additional SC courses as needed for a minimum total of 90 SC credits.
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 120 credits.
- Note 1: CHEM 3080 4.0 is recommended to facilitate employment in industry.
- Note 2: Be mindful of 3000-level pre-requisites for 4000-level courses. As well, some 4000-level courses can be taken in year 3.
- Note 3: Excluding CHEM 1500 4.0, CHEM 1550 3.0, MATH 1510 6.0, MATH 1515 3.0 and all NATS courses.
- Note 4: Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or to transfer into the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.
- Note 5: Eligible non-Chemistry science courses are BIOL (except SC/BIOL 1500 3.0), BCHM, BPHS, CSE, EATS, GEOG, MATH, PHYS (except SC/PHYS 1510 4.0), PSYC, KINE and STS courses that are not cross-listed as CHEM and not a course credit exclusion with a CHEM course.