Students completing the following program of study earn a Specialized Honours degree in Chemistry, fully accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC), but the degree and transcript will carry no mention of this option. Students can obtain a letter from the Chair attesting to their successful completion of this special course sequence.
[More about this program]
As of Fall 2009, the requirements for this study plan will have changed in concert with the changes to the Specialized Honours BSc program.
[Summary of Recent Changes] The requirements described here apply to those students having entered the program prior to Fall 2006 and successfully completed SC/CHEM 2030 4.0, and opting to follow the requirements in place at that time. All students lacking SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 but enrolled before Fall 2006, and all students entering the program between Fall 2006 and Fall 2009 must follow the 2006-2009 requirements. Students enrolling since Fall 2009 must follow the requirements effective Fall 2009.
Years 1 & 2
- Chemistry Program Core (including SC/CHEM 2010 3.0 and SC/CHEM 2030 4.0) (53 credits)
- SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 'Biological Science' [Y] (or the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 'Biology I - Cells, Molecular Biology and Genetics' [F,S] and SC/BIOL 1001 3.00 'Biology II - Evolution, Ecology, Biodiversity and Conservation Biology' [W,S])
or SC/EATS 1010 3.00 'The Dynamic Earth and Space Geodesy' [F] and SC/EATS 1011 3.00 'Introduction to Atmospheric Science' [W](see Notes)
- SC/MATH 2015 3.00 'Applied Multivariate and Vector Calculus' [F] or SC/MATH 2270 3.00 'Differential Equations' [W]
Years 3 & 4
- SC/CHEM 3010 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3011 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3020 4.00 'Organic Chemistry II' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3030 4.00 'Transition Metal Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3031 4.00 'Physical Inorganic Chemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3080 4.00 'Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis' [W]
- SC/CHEM 3090 3.00 'Introduction to Polymer Chemistry' [W]
- SC/CHEM 4000 8.00 'Research Project' [Y,S]
- SC/CHEM 4090 3.00 'Topics in Material Sciences' [W]
- at least 7 additional CHEM credits at the 4000 level
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 120 credits
- One or more courses from the Chemistry Program Core may need to be delayed. Consult with an adviser about course selection and timing.
- Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or to transfer into the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.