Effective Fall 2006, the requirements for the Specialized Honours BSc in Chemistry changed and, again, effective Fall 2009. [Summary of Recent Changes] The requirements described here apply to those students having entered the program prior to Fall 2006 and successfully completed SC/CHEM 2030 4.0, and opting to follow the requirements in place at that time. All students lacking SC/CHEM 2030 4.0 but enrolled before Fall 2006, and all students entering the program between Fall 2006 and Fall 2009 must follow the 2006-2009 requirements. Students enrolling since Fall 2009 must follow the requirements effective Fall 2009.
Specialized Honours BSc in Chemistry before Fall 2006
This program is fully accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry. [More about this program]
Years 1 & 2
- Chemistry Program Core (including SC/CHEM 2010 3.0 and SC/CHEM 2030 4.0)
- SC/CHEM 3010 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [W] or SC/CHEM 3011 4.00 'Physical Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3020 4.00 'Organic Chemistry II' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3030 4.00 'Transition Metal Chemistry' [F]
- SC/CHEM 3080 4.00 'Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis' [W]
- SC/CHEM 4000 8.00 'Research Project' [Y,S]
- SC/MATH 1025 3.00 'Applied Linear Algebra' [F,W] or SC/MATH 1021 3.00 'Linear Algebra I' [F,W] or SC/MATH 2015 3.00 'Applied Multivariate and Vector Calculus' [F] or SC/MATH 2221 3.00 'Linear Algebra with Applications I' [F,W] or SC/MATH 2310 3.00 'Calculus of Several Variables with Applications' [F,W]
- Additional 1000-level SC credits for a minimum total of 24 1000-level SC credits
- No other 1000-level credits are required if either SC/MATH 1025 3.00 or SC/MATH 1021 3.00 is chosen in the above option.
- SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 (or the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00) is strongly recommended for students lacking OAC or 12U Biology (see Note).
- SC/CHEM 1500 4.0, SC/CHEM 1550 3.0, SC/MATH 1510 6.0, SC/MATH 1515 3.0 and all NATS courses are ineligible.
- 18 additional CHEM credits at the 3000 or 4000 levels, of which at least 10 must be at the 4000 level
- Additional SC courses as needed for a minimum total of 90 SC credits
- Additional courses as needed for a minimum overall total of 120 credits
- Since Summer 2011, SC/BIOL 1010 6.00 has been replaced by the combination of SC/BIOL 1000 3.00 and 1001 3.00. Either version is required for those wishing to take advanced courses in the biological areas (especially courses with SC/BIOL 2021 3.00/4.00 as prerequisite) or to transfer to the Specialized Honours program in Biochemistry or into the Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry stream.